Ubetcha Ad Banner

Please visit our sponsors :
Support my blog please, click here

Sunday 29 May 2016

Draytek Vigor Firewall Filter

Restrict certain devices from using the internet.

As we've mentioned before, the options available for configuration on Draytek routers are just fantastic! We have an 8 year old child and his use of the internet is ever increasing. In addition to supervising his internet usage (both manually myself, in person and by using family friendly software) I wanted a way to block all internet access at certain times without effecting any other internet users. Therefore traditional MAC filtering wasn't an option because I don't want to keep logging in and out of my router to enable or disable it. However with the handy Draytek this is all possible and I will show you how!









In these examples the blocking only occurred from 12:30hrs to 13:30hrs but of course you can create more than one schedule set and adjust the times accordingly.

A good way to double check everything is working the way that you want it to work is to create an additional blocking rule for a temporary device (in my case a spare laptop) and on that additional device if you open the command prompt (search cmd) and type:

PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM /T

This will keep 'pinging' (sending packets) to Google and it's useful because you can see exactly when the internet access has been interrupted and when it's been restored. Then you can just delete the additional rule and you already know this will work.

I hope this has been helpful? please leave me a comment below! Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment