Ubetcha Ad Banner

Please visit our sponsors :
Support my blog please, click here

Monday 24 August 2015

Rooting THL-4000 SuperSU

Although it is very simple to root the THL-4000 smartphone (using Kingo Root or by using iRoot/VRoot) I still haven't found out exactly how to install SuperSU even though there are a number of posts on the internet helping me to do so. Let me start from the beginning..

Rooting using Kingo


Simply download Kingo Root (either on your smartphone or on your computer)

Click Root
Sit back and relax while your smartphone is rooted.




Unfortunately Kingo installs it's own Super User app and there are rumors that some of the information collected would allow hackers to easily hack and gain control of your smartphone.


Trying to install another SU application

As you can see, when you try to install SuperUser the SU binary was created by Kingo and there seems to be no easy way to remove this :




Removing Kingo


Fortunately removal of Kingo is simple (using a PC), you just have to load up the rooting program once again and choose 'Remove Root'






Of course there is nothing preventing you from using Kingo to root your phone, then use an app like Titanium Backup (which requires root level access) to remove the bloatware on your phone and then unroot Kingo. All removed bloatware remains removed, but this isn't exactly what I wanted to achieve.


Rooting with Root Genius

Unfortunately, it would seem we have no luck when using this :





After retrying it seemed to get stuck at 47%, I looked at the installed apps (whilst this was running) and noticed KingRoot was added, I double checked using Free Root Checker and had root. I rebooted the smartphone and then went onto the Play store to install SuperSU, after doing so Root Genius seemed to complete and finish



Rooting with SRS-Root

As you can see, this doesn't work yet:



Rooting with Wondershare MobileGo

Due to a device connection error, I couldn't get Wondershares to connect to my smartphone, I've had it connected in the past, although because it was already rooted it said it didn't need to root it again. Wondershares has a one click root option available however I was unable to test this rooting feature on this occasion.


Rooting with Super Root

Super Root seems to get 70% through the rooting process, it reboots the phone one or twice but then says it's trying to reboot the device and nothing happens, if you manually reboot the phone the rooting fails. I didn't have much luck rooting with Super Root:



Rooting with iRoot/VRoot

Although primarily in Chinese, this is easy to use, just download and install, connect your smartphone with USB Debugging enabled and wait for the box at the bottom right to change to 'Root'






Notes I took after rooting using VRoot, go into Settings, Apps and Remove the following (newly created apps) MTKCamera, One Cleaner, (Chinese Word) v2.2.4. Then swipe across into All Apps and I found Kinguser, Force Stop, Disable, WriteIMEI, Force Stop finally reboot your smartphone.

Finding WriteIMEI and what looks like an app disguised as your Camera set off the alarm bells for me!!

This post (here) suggests another thing to try, unfortunately this didn't work either!



I did try to take another screenshot of the text which came up after hitting Enter, however the phone rebooted and didn't save that screenshot :-(


So what exactly what is the problem?

The SU Binary file(s) are created at the time that you manage to root your smartphone, as such once you've rooted it and then want to change the SU program it will then conflict with the SU Binaries.





If you then remove your root, you get the following:


Some helpful websites suggust trying Busybox Installer app, which is seemingly able to patch installation files upon installation, however as you can see, this didn't help :




Although there is no problem installing Busybox Free yourself :


I did find a couple of sites suggesting to download files onto your SDCard and then run them using Terminal Emulator, however the first time I tried this (using Kingo) it didn't work :





I had a little more luck trying these .sh files once rooted using VRoot but even though I hardly had any errors unfortunately it still didn't allow me to remove the rooted SU and start working using SuperSU.



Reflashing the ROM?



I considered reflashing the ROM of the smartphone however I don't really want to go down this route as yet, backing up my data to then transfer across seems a lot of hard work!


If anybody is interested, I found this useful link to THL-4000 ROM's here.


Solved!


After fiddling around for many hours I have managed to get SuperSU with the correct binaries installed! Here's what I did. I downloaded the 2.0 version (older) from this website. I had numerous errors running the script however SuperSU came up with other SU apps detected and I removed them (this has occured a few times today unsuccessfully) then it popped up with "Installation Complete" which it had never done before. I rebooted and I still had root access via SuperSU. I was left with King Root on my smartphone but it was incorrectly configured and it wanted me to 'fix' it. I did NOT do so! instead I just Forced Stopped and Disabled it as a regular app. Titanium Backup would then usually be used to uninstall King Root, however it couldnt find the .apk file. I'm happy enough though after doing all of this!







No comments:

Post a Comment